05 September 2010

I'd rather spend my money on cutlery

Our trip to Moskatels on Friday was semi productive. I was able to look at a prices of a few things like vases, fake flowers, favor stuff, Pris ee ee was a little (lot) appalled at my suggestion to use sandwich baggies with ribbon to hold the favors (at this time, still pineapple tarts and Mexican wedding cookies). I think that's not pretty enough, but for a bag of 25 cellophane wrappers @ $1.99 (approx $20 for 10 sets) vs . $0.28 for those boxes (approx $70 for 250), there's a $50 difference! Maybe we can incorporate the origami box bottom and then the cellophane bags to wrap it up? What color origami paper would we use? And can you buy very specific colors? I eonder if I could find a teal/turquoise and stamp gold swirly designs on it. Buuuuut that might be too much work....

Pris ee ee asked if she didn't spend money on the favors, what would I like her to buy: cutlery? And that became my slogan for the day. I'd rather spend money on something practical like cutlery than on 250 boxes that will be pretty to look at, but thrown away before the night is over. Although, I guess anything that we wrap the cookies in will be tossed.

A centerpiece option that may be reusable, or at least that will make it out of the night without meeting with a dumpster is: Pris ee ee, Joy ee ee, and Mum are pushing for live orchid centerpieces. Wrap them in plant sack material (?) at the bottom or put them in a painted wooden box. Would that be too plain? I guess toss a few votives or such around and you're all set.

I'd be interested in seeing how we could use the hurricane lamps Michelle has, if we have the wedding at TN Gardens.

1 comment:

  1. How about making edible centerpieces? That way no worries about waste or wrapping? Arrange the pineapple tarts and Mexican wedding cookies on trays around the table? Honestly, any wedding favors we have been given have always ended up in the trash.

    ReplyDelete