25 October 2009

Wedding Weekend

So this weekend was filled with wedding-ness...

Jessica and I went dress shopping. We stopped first at Alfred Angelo's, where the girls working were...not very helpful... But let's not dwell on that... Oh and I found out my measurements... 31, 25, 35... On the size chart they were using, my top is smaller than a size 2, my waist a size 4, and my butt a size 2.

We made our way to Isis, a smaller boutique owned by a cute little Korean lady. Jessica's friend had suggested this place. And boy am I glad she did! We found gorgeous dresses! Pretty much every dress was fantastic! Even one with giant safety pinned on flowers and feathers! Apparently I didn't know what I really want in a wedding dress, because the top choice ended up being a spaghetti strap, half-mermaid, half-trumpet, crinkly material (I don't even know what material it was) dress... Not at all like other dresses I've been looking at. It's also diamond white...or actually that one may even have been ivory. (I really need to start paying attention to these things...)

It's been discontinued, which means that if I want it, I would by the floor sample, which would be 30% off and sold as is... It would definitely need alterations, because it was not the right size...but it was really, really pretty. I really liked the shape. I was a little leery about the top, because it's a little big, so it was kind of hanging off my chest...but I guess the straps will be shortened to make it fit... I just wasn't sure if there was too much at the top... I was thinking back to one of the David's Bridal's dresses that made me look like I was swimming in material. With the discount it would be $700, not including alterations. I should have asked the lady how much she thought alterations would be... if I had to pay $300 for alterations that would bump the dress price to $1000... Not sure that I want to pay that much!... But it was a really nice dress!...

After Isis, we went to Tom's Bridal. I tried on a couple of dresses, one which was really pretty, but I think more productive was Jessica tried on a few bridesmaid dresses. I've been thinking short dresses, because I was thinking summer wedding and such, but maybe long dresses would be okay. Actually I really would rather leave it up to the girls to decide what they'd like to wear. Which I realize goes against all bridal philosophy about the wedding being what I want and such, but really, I want the girls to wear something that they actually like. (P.S. Eddie agrees with Jessica that the dresses fall completely under the womenfolk's purview :) ) Jessica and Marianne will head back to Tom's at some point to check out the dresses.

Today, Eddie and I went to the Bridal Expo, since lunch was cancelled. Saw a fashion show, walked around and picked up stuff from vendors. Found another venue to look into... the Fox Theater in Redlands... hopefully it has that historic feel Eddie's looking for and an affordable price per head... I'll call for an appt to check it out this week...maybe Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment