30 August 2010

Chinese Rehearsal Dinner

Prior to Jon and Marc's weddings, I've never been to a backyard rehearsal dinner for a wedding. Pris ee ee's rehearsal dinner was at the Old Spaghetti Factory, and the reception at the Velvet Turtle. I can't remember where Auntie Amy's was, though I do remember pink and white wedding bells in the Marylie Ln backyard. And Jillee's was a little blurry too (funny because it was more recent than Pris ee ee's)...but I'm pretty sure it was at a restaurant because we didn't go someone's house, and the reception was at the zoo. Rachel che che's wedding we went to a Chinese restaurant (got pictures on the wall from it). I can't remember about Michelle che che's (though I know we went to a Chinese restaurant for the reception). Other friend's weddings I've been in... Esther's was Olive Garden brought to their apartment, Shannyn's was at the country club their wedding was held at, and I can't remember about Megann's (update: Megann bought food and we ate it at her dad's house).

So I guess my recitation of wedding rehearsal dinner history is to explain that I had planned on a Chinese multi-course rehearsal dinner.  NOT limited to the bridal party.  Eddie's concern is the cost, and since it is mostly for me and my family, I said I'd take care of it...so I guess I  have to start researching pricing on this now too!  Maybe I can have Mum/Dad go at it for me.  :)
I know Eddie likes the intimate, cozy family feel of a small backyard rehearsal dinner. I suppose we could do two things if he really wants that, but I wanted it close enough to the actual wedding that people here from Sing or other places far away would be able to attend becuase they'd be here. I've yet to decide whether to have the tea ceremony there at the reharsal dinner or at the wedding itself. I guess it depends on how much time we have at the recpetion and/or who shows up to the dinner. It would make for a nice photo op at the wedding itself, esp if I wear a purple cheong sam. But it could go for a while because you're supposed to serve tea to the parents, grandparents, grand aunts and uncles, aunts and uncles.

On my side of the family that would be: AhMah, Kong Kong, Nei Nei, Gee Lou Koh, Soi Lou Koh and Soi Lou Teoh, Leong Chee Ku Ku, Uncle Ah Bee and Auntie Irene (?), Tai Ku Ku and Sei Ku Ku, Pak Mei and Pak Pak, Margie ee and Uncle Scott, Gerard Ku and Auntie Amy, Joy ee ee, Derrick Ku (and Auntie Karen?), Vee ee ee, Pris ee ee and Uncle Mike, Auntie Patsy and Uncle Geoff?. Jillee and Levi??? because technically they're one generation up too...does that mean Aidan too?!?

On Eddie's side of the family would be:  Grandpa Mario and Grandma Esther, Grandpa Paul, Grandpa Ernie, Eddie's dad's mom Lila, Grandma Cora (actually a great grandma), G Uncle Bob and Joe, G Uncle Ralph, G Aunt Lupe, G Aunt Lupe B, G Aunt Mary, G Uncle Joe, G Uncle JB, Uncle Paul and Cindy, Aunt Ruth, Uncle Matt and Julie, Uncle Steve, Uncle Ray and Aunt Debbie.  Although I'm not even really sure if Eddie wants to serve tea to his side of the family.  But I would at least want to serve it to his parents/grandparents/grand uncles and aunts, maybe to his godparents. 

So since there are a bajillion people, I was thinking maybe serve them tea in cycles:
  1. Mum and Dad
  2. Nei Nei Ahmah Kong Kong (Mum said that Ahmah might not want to sit with Nei Nei but it'll last all of 3 seconds!!)
  3. Gee Lou Koh, Soi Lou Koh, Soi Lou Teoh, Uncle Ah Bee, Auntie Irene
  4. Leong Chee Ku ku, Auntie Betty and Alan, Uncle Peter and Aunt Edith
  5. Tai ku ku, Sei ku ku, Pak Pak and Pak Mei
  6. Margie ee ee Uncle Scott, Gerard Ku Auntie Amy, Joy ee ee, Derrick Ku, Vee ee ee, Pris ee ee Uncle Mike

  1. Cathy and Ed
  2. Grandpa Mario and Grandma Esther, Grandpa Paul, Grandma Lila, Grandpa Ernie (and Judy?)
  3. G Uncle Joe, JB, Bob, Joe, Ralph Lupe, Lupe, Mary
  4. Dad's of G Aunts/Uncles (Aunt Armie and Uncle Ralph)?
  5. Uncle Steve, Elsa, Aunt Debbie, Uncle Ray
  6. Aunt Ruth, Uncle Matt and Julie, Uncle Paul and Aunt Cindy

1 comment:

  1. Our rehearsal dinner was the the chinese buffet place where we had our first date! That was very convenient and easy coz everyone got to eat whatever they wanted and it was cheaper than a traditional chinese dinner.

    If I'm not mistaken the tradition is that the groom goes to fetch the bride on the morning of the wedding. The bride usually serves tea to her parents before the groom arrives. However, both bride and groom can serve tea to the bride's family there. Then after the wedding is when you do the tea ceremony for the groom's side.

    Typically, you serve tea starting with your parents and then your grandparents. Then you only serve tea to your parents siblings and their spouses and the generations above them. Since you are the eldest child in your family, you don't have to serve your siblings.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete