18 March 2011

DIY Clutches: The Saga Continues

So I started a new post about the clutches because with all the details I've collected, I could go on indefinitely, and I also realized that as I rambled and added more tags to the previous post, I would eventually end up using every single label, making it difficult to find specific information later on.

Monday's trip to the Garment District with Alexis was productive.  I found clasps that I was looking for so that the clutches would be longer than taller instead of vice versa as my rough draft currently is.  Alexis explained how to create a pattern and how to use the pattern when I got down to the actual sewing.  She also explained how the lining would be put in (basically sewing another of the same purse and sewing the two together.

I went to Joanns and picked up the interfacing (which would make the material more substantial/stiffer) and a tealish blue for the lining.  I think I'll stick with the champagne/beige/gold color of the remnant that I originally picked up to do the rough draft.  I wanted the teal so the bags would have additional umph to them.  ;)

Alexis sent me an awesome link to a tutorial with directions (and more importantly PICTURES) on how to sew the clutch!  After reading them, I can't even imagine how I was going to try to wing it!!  

So now I pretty much have all the materials that I need to start assembling a real clutch...not the rough draft anymore.  Oh, I do need a sewing machine, but I'll get that from Mum tomorrow.

Now I just need to create my pattern, cut out the pieces, sew on the beads, and put it all together!!...

So here goes..

No comments:

Post a Comment