19 May 2011

On the Nature of Blogs, Wedding Photography, Customer Service, and the Bomb Dot Com

(Another draft of a blog that never got posted) from May 12
OMG.  Yesterday night I had a "blogs-are-public-forums-and-you-never-know-who-might-stumble-across-your-blog-and-read-things-about-themselves" moment. 
So around 9 o'clock, I get a phone call from a number that I didn't recognize.  And imagine my surprise when it was Allan Jay, our wedding photographer.  We're not really scheduled for anything else between now and the wedding, so his call seemed to come out of the blue.  He had happened to stumble across my blog when Googling Triversity Wedding Photography (his company).  So he called after reading the blog entries about the engagement photos and our reactions.  He was concerned that we were not satisfied with the engagement pictures.  He was also very positive about criticism, as he viewed it as a way to improve and grow because few people often give him feedback like that.
To be completely honest, I could not, for the life of me, remember what exactly I had posted in the blog, and I wasn't really sure that I even really had offered any CONSTRUCTIVE criticism in the post.  I know how we felt about the pictures being more dramatic and not very natural to our usual selves, but I thought of it more as a practice for the wedding, giving us a better idea of what we wanted in our pictures and knowing more what was his style.  But I did post some of the pictures that we felt were NOT the style we were going for.  Can we say awkward?...the captions were meant jokingly, but could totally be read rather as insulting (just thinking if I were the photog, I would be sensitive about my work!)...
After my initial mortification, this is was actually an encouraging encounter with thoughtful customer service.  Allan truly cares that his brides (and grooms, but we all know who's opinions are REALLY more important ;) ) are happy with the work and pictures and the whole experience with the TWP team.  He was very open and wanted to dialogue about what we wanted in our pictures (while I was still trying to get my metaphorical foot (in the form of typed words) out of my mouth).  He even offered to retake the engagement pictures.  Even if we were too busy before the actual wedding, he wanted to take them after the wedding when we're freer.  I'm going to be messaging him with more specific details of the style/sentiment/etc. of the photos.
So to anyone else Googling Triversity Wedding Photography, Allan and his team are fully committed to you and making your wedding photography experience everything that you want it to be.  They are the bomb dot com ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment